Australia Awards Scholarship 2022 Intake
Applications for the 2022 Australia Award Scholarships have now opened.
Australia Awards Information Sessions in Nauru will be advised at a later date.
Australia’s international development assistance in Nauru helps promote prosperity, reduce poverty, and enhance political stability. Australia Awards Scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Applicants are assessed on their professional and personal qualities, academic competence and, most importantly, their potential to impact on development challenges in Nauru.
Applications are strongly encouraged from women, people with disability and other marginalised groups.
Priority fields of study
The priority areas of study for Nauru are:
- Leadership, Governance and Finance
- Information and Communications Technology
- Infrastructure development and management
- Fisheries Management
Level of study
Australia Awards Scholarships provide citizens of Nauru the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution. Awards will be available for commencement in 2022 within the following allocations:
- Certificate IV
- Bachelor Degree
- Masters (by research or by coursework)
Australia Awards benefits
Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian education institution, including any preparatory training. Scholarship recipients will generally receive the following:
- return air travel
- a one off establishment allowance on arrival
- full tuition fees
- a contribution to living expenses
- an Introductory Academic Program
- Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of the Scholarship (for Australia Awards Scholarships only)
- access to supplementary academic support
- a fieldwork allowance (for compulsory fieldwork only)
English language proficiency
Applicants must have achieved an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or higher (with no individual band score of less than 6.0) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE score. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2022.
Commencement of study
All scholarships must be taken up in the year for which they are awarded. Should an awardee not be able to commence study by November in the year of the award, the scholarship will be cancelled.
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook available here.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from Nauru must also meet the following conditions:
For Diploma level study, awardees
- must have completed QCE (including TVET subjects) or any other Australian State Year 12 qualification or successfully completed Fiji Year 12 Certificate Examination with a minimum aggregate of 200 out of 400 or its equivalent (including English plus best three subjects) or have completed Cert 3 and Cert 4 Certificates in relevant areas;
- must not hold an equivalent TVET qualification
For Bachelors level study, scholarship awardees
- must have successfully completed QCE or any other Australian State Year 12 qualification or successfully completed Fiji Year 13 Certificate Examination with a minimum aggregate of 200 out of 400 or its equivalent (including English plus best three subjects)
- must not hold an equivalent qualification (e.g. degree) or higher qualification (e.g. post graduate of Master’s) at time of application or commencement of award
For Masters level study, scholarship awardees
- must have already obtained a first degree related to the proposed area of study and at least two years of relevant work experience
- must not hold a Masters degree either at the time of application or commencement of award
In addition to these basic eligibility requirements, candidates from Nauru must also meet the following country specific requirements:
- IELTS test results with a minimum level of entry for the chosen course (e.g. 6.5 for Australian universities)
- must not be under any bond arrangements at the time of commencement of an award
- must have accrued a minimum of 12 months residence in Nauru before accepting scholarship
For more information about how to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship click here, read our Australia Awards 2022 Brochure, or go to the Australia Awards website.